Rebecca Janet Wade Partner
Ms. Wade is an Alexandria, Virginia native, graduating from Mount Vernon High School in 2000. After graduating from the University of Richmond School of Law, Ms. Wade worked for more than five years at the Public Defender’s Office for Fauquier and Rappahannock Counties. There she represented clients charged with a wide range of offenses from traffic offenses to serious felonies such as aggravated malicious wounding, drug distribution, and sex crimes. Ms. Wade has tried over two dozen jury trials and hundreds of bench trials. Additionally, Ms. Wade has experience handling appeals and has appeared numerous times at the Court of Appeals of Virginia and the Supreme Court of Virginia, earing victories in both Courts.
Since leaving the Public Defender’s Office, Ms. Wade has also focused her attention on family law. She represents in cases of divorce, child custody and visitation, child support, alimony, and domestic violence. She volunteers with the Legal Aid Justice Center as a Pro Bono Lawyer representing children in juvenile court petitioning for Special Immigrant Juvenile Status.
Ms. Wade speaks fluent Spanish and has represented over 100 native Spanish speakers, helping them through the legal process in their native language and is knowledgeable about the immigration consequences of any criminal convictions.
An experienced, bi-lingual, trial lawyer, Ms. Wade handles cases in the areas of family law and criminal defense.
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Criminal Defense
- Family Law
- Virginia, 2007
- Virginia Supreme Court, 2007
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, 2013
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Eastern District of Virginia, 2013
- University of Richmond, The T.C. Williams School of Law, Richmond, Virginia
- J.D. magna cum laude – 2007
- McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
- B.A. – 2004
- Honors: With Honors
- Major: Honours Economics
- Minor: Hispanic Languages
- Jarvis v. Commonwealth, Supreme Court Record No. 100999 (2010)
- Quintanilla v. Commonwealth, Supreme Court Record No. 101298 (2010)
- Dawson v. Commonwealth, Court of Appeals Record No. 0220-11-4 (2011)
- Nealey v. Commonwealth, Supreme Court Record No. 111305 (2012)
- Melara v. Commonwealth, Supreme Court Record No. 120134 (2012)
- Commonwealth v. Jefferson, 60 Va. App. 749 (Court of Appeals of Virginia 2012)
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Alexandria Bar Association, Director
- Fairfax Bar Association
- Fauquier Bar Association
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
PAST EMPLOYMENT POSITIONS
- Office of the Public Defender, Assistant Public Defender, 2007 – 2013
- Wade, Friedman & Sutter, P.C., 2013 – 2015